Friday, January 15, 2010

And now we shall see

My last post, I questioned if I could submit to TJ without the physical aspect to all of this. It didn't even dawn on me at that time that I would have a chance to find out that very thing within a matter of days of writing that post.

On Monday, I had a minor surgery that has put me on bed rest for two weeks. I returned home from the hospital yesterday and have been tied to the couch since walking in the door. I attempted to read emails last night and when I came across an email from my boss TJ was quick to say "If you are going to look at work emails I am going to take the computer away from you." needless to say I closed my lap top and put it away for the time being. Not only am I on bedrest for two weeks, but TJ and I are not allowed to have "relations" (As the doctor put it to TJ after my procedure and TJ did his very best not to grin) for at least 6 weeks while I heal. Hence, there will be no physical aspects to all of this for at least that time. Which TJ is already complaining about not being able to spank me; all of a sudden the man can't stop patting my bottom.

As we left the hospital yesterday, TJ was turning onto the street I told him to turn left, as it would bring us to the main road off of which we live. He turned right saying that going left would make us have to pass a bunch of county buildings that tend back up traffic. I explained that the portion of town he was talking about was further south and that we wouldn't be near it. We didn't really argue but were simply disagreeing about which street he was actually turning onto. (There was construction around the hospital so the exit was not the normal exit we would have taken)

"Does it matter if you wanted me to go left?" he questioned with a tone I had not heard in a few days.
"You always assume I'm wrong, that I don't know what I'm talking about," I complained with a pout.
"No. You aren't always wrong, but I'm always right," he stated flatly. I blinked and looked at him as he drove, he was serious.
"Ok," I nodded.

Now I'm not stupid, I am aware that he is human and is indeed not always right. He will make mistakes and he will screw up and he may even hurt my feelings at times, but he will never do those things with malicious intentions. What I took from that comment is that when it comes to things like which way to turn, it doesn't matter which way I want him to go. If he says we are going right then we are going right; if he decides to drive six miles out of our way simply because he chooses to do so..then so be it.

I am no longer in the driver seat...

4 comments:

Meow said...

I hope you feel better soon! Getting out of the driver's seat is hard and sometimes I don't even get to hold the map! You sound like you're really working this out! I just read on another blog about "practicing contentment" and it really seems that giving up control is giving in to contentment. (Sorry, I can't tell you which blog - my memory!) I was always dis-contented with the way he did things and now I'm content to let him decide (mostly). For what it's worth, I think you are on the right path. Meow

Anonymous said...

Dear Measha,

It is freeing I totally agree with Meow! And how nice for them not to have someone challenging them on (in the scheme of things ...) not very important stuff - unless you're rushing to the ER! So every body gets to relax - once every body knows the drill. When I'm my most tense is when I am apt to backslide. So my theory is "chill and be still!" But I get reminders at least twice/wk ... just 'cause I'm still me ;)

Katia said...

Measha- I hope that you heal quickly. I tease my hubby because he too can take a longer route. I am one when Im driving, I think of the fastest quickest way depending on traffic. The last time I tried to correct him. He looked at me and asked me who is in the drivers seat, and with the look that came with it, I knew he was referencing more than driving. :)
Katia

JT said...

TJ has it right, We may not always be right, but we are never wrong

That TJ is a Saint!

JT[hehhehheh]